Wednesday 29 January 2020

Need a room for Winterlude or Travel Advice in Ottawa?

 As a B&B owner in Ottawa, I see myself also as a pseudo travel agent educating the masses about traveling solo or on a shoestring as I did years ago. This is ironic because I was a dreadful travel agent when I did it for a living but it doesn't stop me from teaching and hosting workshops on travel...mostly on what not to do.  

This FB post right mapped cities west of Toronto  named after cities in Europe like Lisbon...   reminded me I could have just as easily, have accidentally sent my travel guests to the wrong city in Ontario  but now it's not my problem.  The statute of limitations has run out for blaming me.  And yet, with that said, my family still wants me to make all their flight and travel bookings.  I love them dearly but they are so dumb and trusting.
  
At Spoiled Rotten B&B, my guests learn about: 

  • Solo travel, 
  • Couchsurfing, 
  • WWOOFing, 
  • Working vacations, 
  • House sitting, 
  • Work exchanges, and
  • Airbnb (specifically Instant book and Superhosts), 

And most importantly, they learn about having a wall map of pride and pictures to showcase the best of their memories.

When people come to town, I give them a list of my favourite things to see and do; some are well known, like the Parliament buildings and others are Virtual Reality art experiences and other obscure activities.  

 Le Nordik is always top of the list for must see things in Chelsea, not far from downtown Ottawa. I also really like the Innukshuks off Parkdale.  





When traveling to Orleans, the most logical link to check would be Ottawa Tourism:
 https://www.ottawatourism.ca/ottawa-insider/things-to-do-in-ottawa-this-weekend/


Another one of my favourite emails to receive is Ottawa Road Trips by Laura, who has contests, usually 25 of the best featured road trips from Ottawa, the best biking trails, ski routes and all things interesting.  You should get on her mailing list:  laura@ottawaroadtrips.com but don't you dare enter the contests.  They have my winners name all over them.  


The world becomes smaller when you travel and your outlook opens up.  I was heading to BC, another travel day and I called up my Uber friend to see if he would be able to take me to the airport. His wife wrote me back that he would absolutely take me and there was no charge as usual.  Imagine my horror when I found out that he doesn't even drive for Uber anymore and he had contractors at his home. Good grief, I would never have bothered them.  I hate asking anyone for anything.


On the way to the airport, we talked about old times when they gave to Canada and they stayed at my bed and breakfast.While reminiscing he told me that they had just received their Canadian citizenship and they were all so happy. When they first arrived to Canada they had stayed at the small local hotel and we're very unhappy with the cold atmosphere. They located me at Spoil Rotten Bed and Breakfast and as we arranged apartments and the logistics with me acting as a translator they realized for the first time ever, they felt proud and happy to be in Canada. You just never know the impact you have with people while running a bed and breakfast

At another airport, I sat across from a man using his laptop which had a logo for an acupressure mat.  I interrupted him to ask if it was the one that looked like mine with many cleats and plastic points as I pulled a travel sample out of my knapsack.  He smiled and said his was the real deal, metal and sharp as real nails.  I knew then and there that I had to have one, no matter what the cost. Unlike the plastic cleat mat, which is easy to stand on, the metal one is screamingly brutal.   

Sitting on the plane to BC, I was speaking to the passenger beside me and I offered him use of my acupressure finger massager which I love to share. When we talked about acupressure mats he said he had the real bed of nails from the Ukraine. I told him  my massage therapist was from the Ukraine. Turns out we both go to him and both  love and hate him. We spent the rest of the flight talking about our dude checking out all my pictures of his work on my cell when I observed two of his massages. You never know who you will meet who knows someone you know.

Just came back from Iceland in winter, and that was full of gale force winds, closed roads and snow storms.  Now, a mere 8 weeks later, I'm off to Australia to the land of bush fires, hail, rain, and dust storms.  I need to fire my travel agent.



I WILL be here for the opening of Winterlude starting Jan 31st so pack up your skates, your long underwear, and  traditional Canadian headgear, (your toque), make like Bob Barker and Come On Down.  I'll be waiting for your call or email 'cause Ottawa is booking up fast and you are going to want somewhere special to stay.  

No comments:

Post a Comment